I just read Getting Started in Consulting by Alan Weiss (Summing Consulting Group) and while I’m certainly no consultant, this book seems to have lots of useful information for budding independent consultants.
Some topics discussed:
- importance of low overhead
- why working from a home office and without staff is just fine
- how to finance a consulting practice
- how to write proposals
- negotiating to close a deal
- how to set fees and how to maximize fees
- marketing yourself through paid and free channels
- how to set up billing and bookkeeping
I’m still considering entering into a consulting arrangement with a medium sized private company and this book has come in handy with the negotiation process.